Sunday, March 21, 2010

For the Adults...

Someone mentioned the book Go Ask Alice recently. I remember reading it way back when and thinking it was a book my parents probably wouldn't approve of. Well I reread it and three things struck me - there is no way I understood what was happening within the pages of that book. I wish I could go back to that Amy and have a conversation. I was also struck by the parents love for their daughter, despite the choices she made, the parents were always there to help pick up the pieces. Lastly, being a teenager has always been hard - technology may hasten things but kids can be cruel.


Jodi Picoult's new book House Rules offers an engaging and compelling story. While I have not read all her books, I often find myself thinking, "I can't believe how predictable this story is," and then wham, I'm blindsided by a twist I never anticipated. So yes, there's a twist in House Rules. Is it as jaw dropping as My Sister's Keeper? No, but the character development is superb and Picoult does a masterful job of writing from five different perspectives, including that of 18 year old Jacob, a young man who has Asperger's Syndrome. It is a book you won't want to put down and you don't want to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment