Sunday, November 28, 2010

Two for the Adults


Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell is an incredibly touching memoir of her friendship with author Caroline Knapp (Drinking: A Love Story, Pack of Two). Knapp died of cancer at age 42 and Caldwell has honored their relationship with sensitivity, grace and kindness.



A Scattered Life, Karen McQuestion's debut novel, grabbed me from the first page. Interesting and complex female characters, all flawed and yet you root for each of them to find peace. I saw a train wreck coming and couldn't wait to see how McQuestion untangled things. But to be honest, I was disappointed. I had invested myself in the book and the characters and felt the author knew she had come to the end but wasn't quite sure how to do it. Will this keep me from reading another book by McQuestion? Probably not - she has character development down. Hopefully, the rest will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment