Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Picture Books

I am stuck at home today waiting for the invisible fence guy to come and repair a break in the line. What to do? Make my way through a stack of picture books, most with a dog theme. Here are some of my favorites.

Chowder by Peter Brown - back when Jenny Lawton owned Just Books Too we were lucky enough to have Peter visit our first grades twice. He is a young author with a great sense of humor. His two Chowder books and Flight of the Dodo get a lot of use in the Media Center. If you've never heard of Chowder or the Wubbingtons you're missing out (plus you have to like an author whose website is: www.somebrownstuff.com)


Dog Blue
by Polly Dunbar - there's something to be said about having a dream come true.


The Bookshop Dog
by Cynthia Rylant - truth be told, my dream has always been to own a bookstore, dog by my side. For now, I live vicariously through Cynthia Rylant.



Martha
books by Susan Meddaugh - after reading a Martha book I'm always tempted to feed our dogs some alphabet soup.

Bad Dog School
by Barbara M. Joosse - are perfectly behaved dogs fun to have around?


Smartypants (Pete in School)
by Maira Klaman - Pete is my favorite naughty dog as he too is a wheaten like my Oscar and while he's never eaten the pants off a math teacher...



Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time
by James Howe - a simple beginning chapter book about friendship. Were we all to have friends like Houndsley we'd be in good shape.

Dog Show by Elizabeth Winthrop - a perfect definition of what it means to be man's best friend.

Stella Unleashed: Notes from the Doghouse
by Linda Ashman - Ashman captures a dog's life in poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment