Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Value of Friends

I heard from Caroline Robbins this morning and she says, The Help by Kathryn Stockett is not only the best book she's read this summer but the best book she's read in a long time. I picked it up at the library last week so I put the book I'm reading down and dove right in this morning. Already, I am hooked.

One of the things we talk about with the kids (and I apologize if I mentioned this before) is the value of recommendations. As I was reading The Help at the beach today one of my favorite "book recommenders, " Annie, walked by and struck up a conversation. She lives down the street from my brother and his family and I see her every so often. Inevitably we talk books. When she saw what I was reading she said it was on her list and suggested another book, The Outlander by Gil Adamson. "Great page turner," said Annie (who loves to read so much she would occasionally hide in the closet so her kids wouldn't find her and she could finish reading a book).

And one more note from Caroline Robbins: Jane Green will be at Just Books in Old Greenwich on Tuesday, August 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment