Monday, December 27, 2010

And for the Adults....

Running the Books by Avi Steinberg is a fascinating look at his life as a prison librarian. Steinberg tells engaging stories about the prisoners he works with - it's hard not to root for both the librarian and those incarcerated. That said, it's real life and Steinberg discovers early on that life is complicated when one works in a prison.


Anita Shreve has become one of my go to authors when I want to escape - she weaves a good story but doesn't tax your brain. Her latest,
Rescue, tells the story of a 21 year old paramedic who falls in love with someone he rescues. Sheila is far from perfect but Watson, as the EMT is known, can't help but think there's more to her than the drinking. And there is, but it takes 15 years and raising their daughter alone for him to find out.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave seems to be big amongst the book club crowd. I spent most of the book yelling at Sarah and Lawrence. I will say, I appreciated the author's note at the end of the book, "Researching Little Bee made me grateful for the most basic gifts like safety and peace and the simple right to work." But my goodness, could he have not made the characters a bit more likable?

No comments:

Post a Comment