Friday, December 31, 2010

Three More (it's been a good week)


Justly or unjustly I often judge a book on whether or not I would like to be friends with the characters. Are they likable? Interesting? Can they laugh at themselves? Jake by Audrey Couloumbs is a simple Christmas story of family, immediate and extended. Jake himself is delightful as are all of the characters you meet. I would definitely hang out with Jake. Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett is an engaging mystery that's been around for a while (in fact, there are a couple of follow-ups). Sixth graders Calder and Petra are deep thinkers who find themselves in the midst of an art heist. They too are likable. I could see myself helping them solve future mysteries. Sophie Simon Solves Them All by Lisa Graff stars - Sophie Simon, a brilliant third grade loner who has no interest in making friends. She is at first glance, not particularly likable. But thanks to classmates who you would want to be friends with, who take the time to find the likable in Sophie, I changed my mind as the story finished up.

No comments:

Post a Comment